Getting a ham radio license
There are many resources out there to help you get your amateur radio license. I recommend starting by visiting the arrl.org web page for new hams. If I were to summarize the process myself (keep in mind, this would be for my own learning style), I would say:
- Research and understand the basic requirements online.
- Check the listings at arrl.org and find a local test center & test time. Set a goal to attend a certain test!
- Purchase the "Ham Radio License Manual" 2nd Edition from Amazon or another vendor (ISBN 0872590836).
- Read through the whole manual once, don't worry about being able to answer any questions.
- Take a practice test online, look up the answers as you go through it. Repeat if you want.
- Skim through the whole manual again, but stop and study areas that you don't understand.
- Take practice tests online until you can pass several in a row.
- Go back to the book and take time to study areas that you don't get, don't just memorize the test questions!
- Find and take a real test.
Of course, you'll do it however you need or want to, but this method worked for me, was fast, and I actually feel like I learned some interesting stuff. I don't know much in the grand scheme of amateur radio, but I know enough to get started.